In case you just finished your secondary school education and you are still not sure of the university to apply to then you should read this article as I have compiled a list of the best Universities in Nigeria based on the world’s ranking by The Ranking Web or Webometrics which is the largest academic ranking of Higher Education institutions that judges the performance of universities based on the quantity and quality of their web content.
Nigeria now has so many private universities as well as federal and state universities. The federal universities are owned and managed by the federal government. The state universities are managed by the government of the state in which they are located and the private universities are usually owned and managed by private individuals, bodies or even churches.
Considering the cost of schooling in universities, federal universities are more affordable than state universities and private universities are the most expensive.
These universities stand out and are highly respected because of this ranking and students and alumni are proud to be affiliated.
Below is a list of the best universities in Nigeria in 2022
1. University of Ibadan (UI)
World Rank: 1231
Location: Ibadan, Oyo state
Tuition fee: ₦35,000
Number 1 on the list of the best universities in Nigeria in 2022 is the University of Ibadan (UI) which is a federal government university founded in 1948 and popularly known as the first and the best. She stands tall amongst others for her high educational standards and discipline. The University of Ibadan admits students purely based on merit using UTME and Post-UTME as their grading standards thereby making sure that only the best are selected. This is one of the reasons why students and alumni of this great university are highly respected.
This school has also produced notable and highly respected people who are well valued in society for their successes and impact on their generation. A few of them are:
- Chinua Achebe who is a notable writer and poet;
- Wole Soyinka, a writer and Nobel Laurette;
- Chief Funmilayo Ransomed Kuti who was a Nigerian educator, political campaigner, women rights activist, and the mother of late Fela Kuti;
- Godwin Obaseki, a notable politician known for his political wisdom and strategist. He is currently the governor of Edo state.
2. Covenant University
World Rank: 1370
Location: Ota, Ogun state
Tuition fee: ₦800,000 – ₦900,000
Covenant University is a Private Pentecostal Christian University founded by Bishop David Oyedepo in October 2002. Their mission statement is to raise new generation leaders and as such, they are known for their spirituality, innovation and infrastructures.
Covenant University is the best private university in Nigeria and the first in Nigeria to start an entrepreneurship course and has the best library in Nigeria. Admission into the university is highly competitive as both local and international students work hard to be qualified to get in.
Covenant University has birthed so many notable individuals who have succeeded in their career fields and serve as role models to many. A few of them are:
- Anthonia Adenike Adeniji, a member of the Nigeria Institute of Management (AMNIM), Chartered Institute of Administration, and the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (MCIP);
- Dolapo Adeleke (LowlaDee) who is an award-winning filmmaker in Nigeria;
- Simisola Kosoko, a Nigerian singer, Actress and songwriter.
3. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
World Rank: 1477
Location: Ile-Ife, Osun state
Tuition fee: ₦28,000 – ₦35,000
A federal government university established in 1962 and known for its beautiful and magnificent structures. It is not only among the best universities in Nigeria but also one of the most beautiful due to its structures. OAU as it is popularly called has a large student and staff body even as it is very competitive in student admission. She has also been nominated previously for the Nigerian Broadcasters Merit Award for Best Campus Radio Station.
Various prominent individuals have been produced by the school and a few of them are:
- Jimoh Ibrahim, a global tycoon, lawyer, politician and businessman. He is also the CEO of Global Fleet Group;
- Dele Momodu, a Nigerian Publisher or Journalist, an actor, motivation speaker and CEO of Ovation;
- Professor Oladapo Afolabi CFR, former Head of Service of the Federation.
4. University of Nigeria (UNN)
World Rank: 1622
Location: Nsukka, Enugu state
Tuition fee: ₦70,700 – ₦85,000
Established by Dr Nnamdi Azikwe in 1955, the University of Nigeria is a federal government university formally opened on 7th October 1960. Popularly known as UNN, the university educates over 20,000 students with 82 undergraduate courses and 211 postgraduate courses. University of Nigeria owns three campuses, one at Nsukka, another at Ittuku Ozalla and one at Aba.
Notable people who graduated from UNN are:
- Herbert Wigwe, the CEO of Access bank which is one of the most prominent banks in Nigeria today;
- Chimamanda Adichie, a writer and winner of the Commonwealth Prize;
- Godwin Emefiele, the current governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
5. University of Lagos (Unilag)
World Rank: 1766
Location: Yaba, Lagos State.
Tuition fee: ₦56,500
The University of Lagos sits comfortably on the list of the best universities in Nigeria. UNILAG was founded in 1962 and has since provided quality education to its students. Owned and managed by the federal government of Nigeria, the school has three campuses, 10 research centres and a large student body comprising individuals from various walks of life.
UNILAG has produced many prominent personalities who have blessed the nation with their impact. A few of them are:
- His Excellency, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo SAN who is the current Vice President of Nigeria;
- Omowunmi Sadik, a Chemist and Inventor, Binghamton University, USA;
- Dele Olojede, Journalist, 1st African-born winner of the Pulitzer Prize Dele Olojede, Journalist, 1st African-born winner of the Pulitzer Prize.
6. University of Port Harcourt
World Rank: 1923
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers State
Tuition fee: ₦92,000 – ₦128,000
The University of Port Harcourt was established in 1975 and it is undoubtedly one of the best universities in Nigeria. It started as a university college and then became a university in the year 1977. Uniport has a well-equipped library, good hostel and infrastructures. It offers various degree programs and is also very competitive.
A few of their notable alumni are:
- Good luck Ebele Jonathan, former President of Nigeria;
- Rotimi Amaechi who is the minister of transportation;
- Agbani Darego, an International model and beauty queen who was formerly crowned Miss Nigeria in 2001.
7. Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA)
World Rank: 2252
Location: Akure, Ondo State
The university was established in 1981 with a vision to create universities that train students in the practical and theoretical aspects of technology. The university specializes in helping students activate or harness their potential in the field of technology. It is often said that life in FUTA is not for the slothful.
FUTA has produced so many notable individuals who are achieving great feats in their various career paths. A few of them are:
- Ndubuisi Ekekwe, a Nigerian professor, inventor, engineer, author, and entrepreneur;
- Taiwo Odubiyi whos is an author, international speaker, marriage and relationship counsellor;
- Temidayo Oniosun is the founder and Managing Director of Space in Africa, which provides news, data and market analysis on the African Space Industry.
8. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
World Rank: 2262
Location: Zaria, Kaduna state
Tuition: ₦25,500 – ₦44,500
There is no way you can talk about the best universities in Nigeria without mentioning Ahmadu Bello University. The federal government research university was founded in 1962. Formerly known as the University of Northern Nigeria, it offers a wide range of courses including vocational and remedial courses. It has a good library, road, hostels and other infrastructures.
ABU has produced various important personalities in the society and a few of them are:
- Ahmed Tijani Mora, a pharmacist and chairman of the Pharmacist Council of Nigeria;
- Ayodele Awojobi, a scientist and professor at UNILAG;
- Bola Shagaya who is an economist and business magnate.
9. Landmark University
World Rank: 2415
Location: Omu-Aran, Kwara State
Tuition: ₦600,000 – ₦700,000
Landmark University is a private university founded by Bishop David Oyedepo, the founder of Covenant University in 2011. This university trains students majorly in the field of farming and agriculture as it was established to meet the agricultural needs of the nation. The institution is strict on discipline and spiritual values, even the dressing of students.
A few notable individuals affiliated with Landmark university are:
- Hilary Owamah who is an influential and well-known researcher;
- Ayodeji Falomo, an agricultural economist and senior clinical research associate;
- Adakole Joy Ene, a sociologist, investigation officer, chef and CEO of EmmJoy venue.
10. Federal University of Technology Minna
World Rank: 2577
Location: Minna, Niger State
A list of the best universities in Nigeria would be incomplete without mentioning the Federal University of Technology Minna. The school was established in 1980 with the aim to train students in the field of science and technology. It is one of the three federal universities in Nigeria and is highly competitive due to its reputation. Its student body comprises culturally and religiously diverse individuals.
A few notable individuals who have made an impact in their various career paths are:
- Kemi Adesoye, a screenwriter;
- Michael Akanji who is a sexual health and rights advocate;
- Daniel Erin Effiong, an actor and filmmaker.