If you are considering making a low-risk investment in Nigeria, consider investing in real estate. This post highlights the benefits of real estate investments in Nigeria.
What is real estate?
Real Estate can be defined as any property i.e building, that is situated on a piece of land and the natural resources attached to it. Real estate also connotes the legal rights a person or group of persons have over the use and ownership of the real estate.
What are real estate investments?
Real estate investments are investments in the purchase, sale, lease, or development of real estate property in order to make a profit.
The Real estate sector has witnessed a good amount of growth in Nigeria over the years. For a nation whose economy relied on agriculture in the past and now oil, development in the real estate sector seems like a breath of fresh air giving the dwindling performance of the oil sector. The Real estate sector contributed 8.7% of Nigeria’s GDP in 2014 and by the first quarter of 2021 has already contributed over 5% to the country’s GDP. This shows that the development in the real estate sector is important to growing the nation’s economy.
While most sectors all over the world were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the real estate sector was unaffected. People will always need accommodation and the real estate market has no opening or closing time. Investments in real estate provide certain assurances that are not found in other forms of investment. Unlike investments in Cryptocurrency and Foreign exchange, Real estate is a less volatile form of investment.
Benefits of real estate investments in Nigeria:
1. Real estate investments are low-risk investments
Due to the low volatility of the real estate market, risks involved in investments are little and can be insured against. Investors can take out comprehensive insurances on their property to cover certain losses.
2. Real estate investments provide financial stability for investors
Profits in real estate investments are not immediate and may take a period of years to come by. What they guarantee, however, is passive income. Investors can receive passive income in the form of rent from residential and commercial real estate properties put on rent or lease.
3. The value of a real estate property increases over the years
An increase in the value of a property depends on the physical attributes of the property, location, and improvements carried out on the property. These factors help in increasing the monetary value of the property, whether in the form of rent or outright sale.
4. Ownership of real estate can be leveraged to secure loans from banking institutions
Real estate assets can be used as collateral to secure loans from banks in order to execute other business or investment projects.
5. Real estate constitutes an asset rather than a liability
Assets are properties owned by a person that increases in value. Liabilities are assets that reduce in value or cost the owner money. Real estate investments unlike cars are assets that appreciate in value while cars are liabilities that depreciate in value.
Ownership and rights in real estate can be passed down from one generation to another.
Investment options available in the real estate sector include:
1. Development of rental properties: Although this is a capital-intensive venture, it, however, guarantees passive income. Investors can develop residential or commercial properties and put them up for rent for a duration of time. The investor receives rent as payment for the use of the property.
2. House Flipping: This is a form of real estate investment where investors purchase old properties, renovate them, and sell them for a higher price. This would require the use of professional valuation experts to help determine the open market value of the property before renovation and after renovation.
3. Real estate investment trusts: Popularly called REITS, it is set up by corporations who help investors purchase, operate, and manage properties.
4. Real estate investment groups: Enable investors to purchase units of apartments in developed properties and lease them out. The investment group handles the management and advertisement of the properties or estates.
Really self explanatory and enlightens too
You are welcome
This is quite insightful! Thank you
You are welcome
Impactful and full of insight
You are welcome
So well explanatory
Real estate investment is another great investment after technology. You can’t run out of people who need accommodations so badly or a nice house after retirement.
This is a great one Mr olatunde
Awesome view, i think you just gave me a good idea for my next article.
Real estate investments provide financial stability for investors.
You can never go wrong with real estate, except your property is poorly managed. Even with that, u would still make profit on outright sale.
This is profound. Real Estate is an investment plan more people need to explore
A very detailed write up there….. Beautifully pieced
This is explanatory enough
Real estate investment comes with low risk and high return. One of the best investments to go in if one have the capital.
Well detailed, nice
What an insightful write up and nice presentation… Considering things tho
Real estate no doubt has lots of unfathomable advantages..from favourable payment plans to the security of having a home to even financial security for some that are investors..well done sir for this wonderful piece
This reply sef sweet pass the post 🤩
Na to get small money invest na him remain now o.