Nobody likes to deal with skin troubles, perhaps because it sends the wrong message about your skincare routine to others, or because we think it makes us look terrible. Whatever reason it may be, we just don’t want to be the person everyone describes with their skin troubles.
However, sometimes, these breakouts are inevitable: could be due to something we ate, something we applied to our skin, or it could even be as a result of the weather condition.
Anyway, irrespective of what may be responsible for your skin troubles, there’s always a way out.
So let’s talk about 5 common skin troubles and how to get rid of them.
Pimples are red tender bumps on the skin that are caused when your pores become clogged by oil and dead skin buildup. A simple explanation is this: when bacteria mix with sweat and oils on the skin, they can clog your pores.
How to get rid of pimples
- Keep your skin clean always
Oily faces are prone to breakout. To avoid these breakouts, ensure that you keep your skin clean always. For instance, wipe off sweats with a clean towel or cloth to avoid irritation of your skin.
- Use non-comedogenic products on your face, back, neck and other areas of your body that is prone to the attack.
This means that the next time you go shopping for lotions or moisturizers, consider checking for oil-free lotions. Avoiding oily face or skin will help keep pimples at bay.
Eczema is a skin reaction that causes the skin to become inflamed and irritated. It is associated with dry and scaly patches on the skin. It appears more on the hand, face, scalp, cheeks, forehead, etc.
How to get rid of eczema:
- Apply an anti-itch cream to the affected areas
- Bath at least twice a day. Take a warm bath if possible
- Avoid scratching the affected areas
- Avoid wearing clothes that are tight and rough to minimize irritation
Note that eczema is mostly caused by dry skin so the trick is to avoid anything that makes the skin dry and itchy.
3. Heat rash
Heat rash is caused when your sweat glands are blocked. It’s like this; the sweat cannot get out so it begins to build up under your skin, causing tiny, itchy bumps known as rashes on your skin
To get rid of skin trouble, all you need to do is avoid sweating profusely. To do this, try:
- Wearing light-weight or loose-fitting clothes, preferably clothes made with cotton
- Bath or shower with cool water and nondrying soap
- Avoid using creams and ointments that petroleum or oils so that you don’t more your pores further
- Avoid stuffy areas
4. Cold sore
Do you know those red, fluid-filled cluster of blisters usually found near the mouth? Well, that’s a cold sore. They are sometimes called fever blisters. Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus. I know it sounds scary because it’s a viral infection, but there a few ways to get rid of it.
- Apply anti-viral cream to shorten the duration of the outbreak
- Use petroleum jelly to keep your skin moist and avoid cracking
- Use a cold damped washcloth to ease the pain and reduce swelling
Sunburn is caused as a result of constant exposure to the sunlight, and a lifetime of such exposure can cause age spots, wrinkles and the likes.
Common ways to get rid of sunburn include:
- Applying sunscreen that offers wide spectrum protection, SPF 30+ and water resistance
- If you can, avoid being in the sun between 12 noon and 4 pm when the sun’s ray is the strongest
- Wearing protective clothing when going out in the sun
For tips on how to take care of your hair, check this post.